Advice for residents

Here you will find guidance relating to

Do I need planning permission?

Certain minor alterations at domestic properties can be carried out without an application for planning permission, under the property's Permitted Development (PD) allowances. In some cases these rights have been removed or limited. Building Regulations may still apply.

The Planning Portal website has a useful interactive house and guidance for common householder projects to check whether your proposal is likely to need planning permission. Please note that this guidance should only be used as assistance.

To check if you need planning permission, you can complete our online form to receive an informal response from us. The fee for householder enquiries is £40, and if you are enquiring about a proposed business use the fee is £115 which you can pay online. We aim to respond to your enquiry within 10 working days. You can also download a copy of the form.

If you are considering lowering a kerb outside your property you will be unlikely to need planning permission if the property is on an unclassified road, however you may have to submit a dropped kerb vehicle crossing application from the local Highways Authority.

For formal confirmation that your proposal is permitted development you will need to apply for a Certificate of Lawful Development. When applying we would also recommend that you discuss your proposal with your neighbours.

Advice before making applications

We offer a free duty planner system for householder enquiries and applications. If you would like advice on alterations to your home, you can contact our duty planner on 01252 774419, by emailing or visiting the council during offices hours. This service does not apply to commercial advice or new dwellings.

We regret to inform you that the pre-application enquiry service is suspended until further notice. This is because of current staff shortages and high levels of workload, so there are significant delays to the pre-application service. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

To ensure fairness and transparency the Council publishes all pre-application requests submitted since 1 January 2014 online. If you believe that your pre-application request involves financially sensitive material then you need to set this out in your request. Any non-commercially financially sensitive parts of a pre-application request will still be published.

Commenting on applications

Comments regarding undecided applications can be made via the planning online service, by email, or in writing. For details of the types of comments that can and cannot be taken into consideration please refer to our 'commenting on a planning application' guide.

Planning Committee and decision-making

The Planning Committee meets on a monthly basis to determine those applications that are not dealt with by The Head of Planning Services under powers delegated to him by the Council. The agenda will be available one week prior to the meeting.

Supporters and objectors have the opportunity to put their views on a planning proposal directly to the Planning Committee. The purpose of this scheme is to give you an opportunity to make your views known in person to the Committee, in a method that is aimed at being fair to all that are participating.  Letters and e-mails of support or objection are also taken into account.

How do I register to speak?

Anyone who has written or emailed comments in favour or against a planning application can speak at the Planning Committee. We will write to advise you when the application will be debated at Committee and that there will be an opportunity to speak.

If you do wish to address the Planning Committee it is important to let us know by completing the online public speaking form. Please note that you will only be given the opportunity to speak once, unless the application is deferred prior to the Planning Committee meeting.

Please see the leaflet 'Speaking at Planning Committee Meetings' for further information.

Conditions imposed on approved applications

As an alternative to outright refusal, the Council may grant permission subject to conditions, for example, restricting what you can do on the premises, or requiring you to get specific approval for aspects of the development, such as the materials to be used, before you can proceed. The authority has to give reasons for the conditions.

If you are not prepared to accept the conditions you can either discuss the position with the case officer, who may be able to suggest ways of overcoming the Council's objections, or you can appeal against the condition(s) that you do not agree with.

How to contact Planning:


Phone: 01252 774419

back to top of page

Share this page