What is Clean for The Queen?
About 2.25 million pieces of litter are dropped on the streets of the UK every day. Thirty million tons of rubbish are collected from England’s streets each year. That’s enough to fill Wembley Stadium four times over.
Clean for The Queen is a campaign launched by Country Life magazine in partnership with Keep Britain Tidy to clear up Britain in time for The Queen’s 90th birthday in 2016.
It will rally an army of volunteers across the country to clean up their local areas and included a special clean-up weekend on March 4–6. With the backing of Keep Britain Tidy, the campaign already has the support of well-known national organisations with a total membership in excess of 1.5 million, as well as individual ambassadors.
Now it’s up to all of us.
What can I do to help?
You can get involved in various ways:
- Book onto the Hart District Council's Clean for The Queen events
- Hart are offering free sacks for rubbish collection from the Hart District Council offices and if you need your waste collected, please contact AllInHartstreetcare@basingstoke.gov.uk - any litter collected must have been removed from public land and should be placed in black sacks ready for collection.
- Register your event on the Clean for The Queen website - you'll find advice and tips about how to join a group or to simply do your bit to help
What events are taking place in Hart?
- Big Spring Clean event on Yateley Common - Saturday 27 February - Yateley Common Country Park - 10am - 1pm
Local volunteers joined together for the annual Big Spring Clean event on Yateley Common Country Park, where attendees aimed to give all 193 hectares a litter pick. There were various meeting points in order to allow everyone to spread out across the Common.
- Saturday 5 March - Hartley Wintney - 10am - 12noon - BOOKING ESSENTIAL
The Rangers and Hartley Wintney Parish Council prepared for the Queen’s birthday with a community clean up. Attendees were invited for refreshments at the Waggon and Horses pub after the event.
- Friends of Basingbourne Park - Saturday 5 March - 2pm start - Meet at Basingbourne Pavilion
Where: Met at Basingbourne Pavilion, Basingbourne Road, Fleet.
- Blackwater Deep Clean - 14 - 18 March
- Winchfield Clean for The Queen event - Sunday 10 April - 10.00 am - 12 noon
Volunteers met in the Village Hall on 10 April when litter picking routes were agreed. Refreshments were provided at the Village Hall at the end of the session.
- Graffiti focus week - 11-15 April
Graffiti Focus Week is a bi-annual event that sees members of the Community Safety Team and a professional contractor remove graffiti from the across the Safer North Hampshire area. During this week, even graffiti on private property will be removed if the landowner’s permission is received.
- The Fleet Town Council Action Day - Saturday 23 April
- The Odiham Society clean up - June 4-5 - Volunteers within the area welcome
Can't volunteer for one of the events? Why not join Hart Voluntary Action's volunteer centre to find out how you can help volunteer for other events.
Clean for The Queen resources
To purchase T-shirts, order your own branded sacks or if you need any other resources, please access the Clean for The Queen resources website.