Weather advice

This page provides advice on the following:

The Met Office will put out warnings regarding severe weather and this can be found on their website

This Fleet weather forecast is generated by the Met Office Weather Widget

    Hot weather advice

    Help to prevent heat-related illnesses by following the advice below:

    Stay out of the heat: Keep out of the sun between 11am and 3pm. If you have to go out in the heat, walk in the shade, apply sunscreen and wear a hat and light scarf and avoid extreme physical exertion.

    Cool yourself down: Have plenty of cold drinks, but avoid caffeine and alcohol. Eat cold foods, particularly salads and fruit with a high water content. Take a cool shower, bath or body wash by sprinkling water over the skin or clothing, or keep a damp cloth on the back of your neck.

    Keep your environment cool: Keep windows that are exposed to the sun closed during the day, and open windows at night when the temperature has dropped. Have your loft and cavity walls insulated – this keeps the heat in when it is cold and out when it is hot.

    Look out for others: Keep an eye on isolated, elderly, ill or very young people and make sure they are able to keep cool. Ensure that babies, children or elderly people are not left alone in stationary cars. Check on elderly or sick neighbours, family or friends every day during a heat wave and be alert and call a doctor or social services if someone is unwell or further help is needed.

    For further heatwave health advice, which is especially important to groups that might be at more at risk during high temperatures, please see the NHS website.

    Cold weather advice

    North East Hampshire and Farnham NHS Services have released an advice leaflet on staying well this winter.

    Keeping Warm and Safe
    During periods of very cold weather, it is important to ensure that you stay warm and reduce your risk of injury by staying indoors as much as possible and avoiding travel unless it is absolutely necessary. It is better to dress in several thin layers than rely on a single garment to keep warm. The layers of clothing trap air between them which helps retain heat. More information can be found on the NHS Stay Well This Winter website.

    Clearing pavements, roads and driveways
    If you are fit and able, try to keep access to your house and the pavements adjacent to your property clear of snow and ice to make it easier for deliveries by your postman, milkman etc to take place and for the safety of your family and neighbours. Contrary to popular myth, you are very unlikely to be successfully sued by someone falling on an area which you have cleared.

    In the event of heavy snow fall the Council's Snow Plan will be implemented to ensure continued provision of services.

    Gritting main roads

    Clearance and salting/gritting of roads is undertaken by the County Council on a priority basis. They will prioritise trunk roads and through routes. Residential areas are generally treated as low priority unless they provide access to sheltered accommodation or medical centres. Regular traffic and road updates are given on the Hantsconnect Twitter feed. Specific information is available online:


    In an emergency, please follow our emergency flooding contacts flow chart.

    Flood Re
    Flood Re is a joint Government and insurance industry initiative to enable you to find  affordable insurance for qualifying properties that are at risk of flooding or have  been flooded. Part of their work also involves helping you find out more about flood risks to your home and how you can help to reduce them. Here you can view the Flood Re leaflet for more information

    Provision of Sandbags to Protect against Flooding
    The Council makes sandbags available to residents of the district, during emergency situations, to enable them to protect their homes from flooding. However, residents who are aware that their homes are at a high risk of flooding, e.g. as a result of the close proximity to a watercourse, are recommended to obtain sandbags from a builders' merchant to enable early preparation, as at times of flooding the Council's contractor may not be able to reach all properties before flooding occurs. 

    The following builders merchants are generally able to supply empty sandbags plus bags of sand: Jewson ( 01252 613555) at 128 Clarence Road and Travis Perkins (01252 613681) in Fleet Road, Fleet or (01252 843366) at Albion Place, Hartley Wintney can generally supply empty sandbags plus bags of sand. 

    If you require sandbags in an emergency please call 01252 622122 during office hours only.

    Please watch the video on how to sandbag your property

    If you have been affected by flooding in Hart, please fill in our online flooding survey.

    Some areas within Hart are at risk to flooding, to view an interactive map of flood warnings in Hart please visit the Environment Agency website.

    The following notes give guidance on who to contact for various types of flooding:

    Flooding from Public Sewers
    Thames Water own and manage the network of public foul and surface water sewers. The majority of public sewers are located in highways. To report an overflowing public sewer, you should call Thames Water Customer Services on 0800 316 9800 (24 hour service). If you wish to view the Thames Water sewer map for your area please email Thames Water to request this.

    Flooding from Private Sewers or Drains
    If your private drains or sewers are overflowing, you will need a drainage contractor to deal with any blockage. If you are uncertain if any blockage is in the public or private sewers, Thames Water should be able to determine this, once on site, then recharge you the cost of any work on the private sewers.

    Flooding from the Public Highway
    For flooding from the public highway or reporting blocked road gullies or gratings, contact Hampshire Highways North office at Hook, on 0300 555 1388.

    Flooding from a Burst Water Main
    The local water supply company are South East Water - Customer Call Centre 0845 301 0845.  The water company are responsible for their supply up to and including the water stopcock.

    Flooding from a Water Service Pipe or Internal Pipework
    This is the responsibility of the homeowner or landlord and would need the attention of a plumber.

    Flooding from a Main River
    The main rivers in the Hart district include the Hart, Blackwater and Whitewater and are the responsibility of the Environment Agency. The Agency's general enquiry number is 03708 506 506, and their 24 hr Floodline advice and information service for floods and flood warnings is 0345 988 1188. A map of main rivers and the areas at risk of flooding from them can be view on the Environment Agency website.

    Flooding from Watercourses, other than Main Rivers
    All watercourses are the responsibility of riparian owners. You are a riparian owner if your property or land is on, or boarders, a watercourse. Riparian owners have a duty to keep the watercourse clear of any obstruction to flow and the Council can serve legal notices on riparian owners to deal with obstructions. Some relatively small watercourses, that are known to pose a high risk of property flooding if they become blocked have been re-classified as 'Main River' and are now managed by the Environment Agency.  For advice, during office hours, ring Hart District Council on 01252 774210. For more advice please see the Environment Agency’s ‘Living on the edge’ booklet. 

    Do you own land that has a watercourse or drainage ditch on or adjacent to it? If yes, you are a ‘riparian landowner’ and you are responsible for maintaining those watercourses. See this leaflet for more information.  

    Frequently asked questions

    For more information about flooding, please read our Flooding FAQ.

      How to sandbag your property

      This video explains how to sandbag your property effectively


      Share this page