Voter registration

How do I register to vote?

The registration system changed in June 2014.  It is now the individual's responsibility to make sure they are registered on the electoral register.

You can register online at,  You will need to provide your name, new address, old address, National Insurance number and your date of birth.

You need to be on the electoral register to vote in UK elections and referendums. You are not automatically registered even if you pay council tax. The electoral register is the list of everyone who is registered to vote. 

Who can register to vote

You can register to vote if you are: 

  • 16 years old or over and 
  • a British citizen 
  • an Irish, EU or qualifying Commonwealth citizens. Qualifying Commonwealth citizens are those who have leave enter or remain in the UK, or do not require such leave.

There are also other categories of elector.  These are:

  • Service voters
  • Overseas
  • Students
  • Anonymous - You can register as an anonymous elector for safety reasons - such as if you are escaping violence.  To register anonymously you will need documentary evidence like a court order or an injunction. Please contact us for more details.

Annual canvassing

Every year the Government asks us to check the details of everyone registered to vote in households across the district. We do this between August and December.

We send a household enquiry letter to all households with the information we currently hold on the register for that property. Confirming your information is quick and simple. It will mean that you will continue to be registered and you won't lose your right to vote. You can also update the information if it has changed.

If your information is correct - no changes needed

If all the details on the form are correct, you can confirm this using the household enquiry website for Hart.

You will need to enter part 1 and part 2 of the security codes given on your letter, as shown.

You can also do this by calling our free phone number 0800 197 9871 or text NOCHANGE and your security code to 80212.

If your information is wrong or you need to make changes

You can make changes on the household enquiry website for Hart. This includes adding or removing people.

You will need to enter part 1 and part 2 of the security codes given on your letter.

Adding new people to your household

If anyone new is added, each person will then need to register individually. They can do this at Register to vote - GOV.UK website. They will need their national insurance number to complete the process.

If you do not respond to our letter, we will send a reminder.  If we still don't hear from you, a member of our elections team will visit your home to confirm the information.

Making a change to open register preferences for others in your household

There are two registers produced - the electoral register and the open register. Your name and address will appear on the electoral register, but you can choose whether or not your details appear on the open register. If you would like to be removed from the open register please complete our changing your open register preference online form.

The electoral register contains the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote. You can view the electoral register at the Civic Offices. Only certain organisations are allowed to have copies of the electoral register. It can only be used for: electoral purposes, crime prevention and detection, and the vetting of applicants for credit. It is a criminal offence to use it for any unauthorised purpose or to pass it on to anyone else.

The open register is available for general sale and can be used for any purpose, including commercial activities such as marketing. It excludes the names and addresses of people who have opted out.

Cancel your postal or proxy votes

If you have a postal or proxy vote and decide you want to cancel it, you can do so using our cancel your postal or proxy vote online form.

To arrange to vote by post or by proxy (someone voting on your behalf at your polling station) go to or for more information go to Elections help and advice webpage.

The electoral register

We produce a full and a public version of the electoral register on 1 December.

Annual canvassing, how to respond video:


Share this page