Dog warden

The Hart District Council Dog Warden Service collect stray dogs during office hours, promote responsible dog ownership, enforce dog fouling bylaws and deal with nuisance dogs and dog on dog attacks in the district.

Hart District Council has been awarded the Gold Stray Dog Footprint in this year’s prestigious RSPCA Community Animal Welfare Footprint (CAWF) awards, for the fourth year in a row.

Find a list of our Dog Warden charges here.

Stray dogs

If you find a stray dog in the Hart district, please contact the Dog Warden during office hours on 01252 774421:

Monday – Friday: 8:30am – 5.00pm
Friday: 8.30am – 4:30pm

If you find a stray dog out of office hours please contact our out of hours service on 01252 774477:

Monday – Friday: 5pm – 10pm
Weekends: 9am – 10pm

Advice on dangerous or aggressive dogs

Should you have concerns or a complaint regarding a dangerous dog, or if you have been attacked by another dog, please report it to the following:

  • Dog on person attack - call the police on 101

Please find more information on dangerous dogs and controlling your dog in public.


From April 2016 it became law that all dogs must be microchipped - breeders must microchip puppies before they are sold at eight weeks. If you sell, re-home your dog, or move address, it will be an offence not to have the details on the microchip database updated.

Dog tag service

The Control of Dogs Order 1992 states that "every dog while in a highway or in a place of public resort shall wear a collar with the name and address of the owner inscribed on the collar or on a plate or badge attached to it." A telephone number is option but always advised.

We sell dog ID tags at £4.50 each and they are available in many colours and sizes.

Payment can only be taken by card over the phone. For more information, or to book an appointment please contact on 01252 774237 or

Dogs in need of re-homing and fostering

Often the Dog Warden service will look to re-home stray dogs directly. If you would like to offer a home to one of our dogs, please contact us or visit our Facebook page for regular updates.

Your details will be recorded and if a suitable dog becomes available you will be contacted by us to arrange a re-homing assessment.

Please contact us if you are able to foster one of our dogs while we are in the search for its forever home.

Dog fouling

The Hart Dog Fouling Order 2001 requires all dog owners to clear up after their dogs in all areas of the district.

Fines for failure to clear up after a dog can be up to £1000. Hart maintains a policy of prosecuting offenders where there is sufficient evidence. Registered blind people are excluded from this legislation.

If you are aware of particular areas with dog fouling problems, please contact the Dog Warden Service on 01252 774421 so that we can investigate the situation further.

Animal welfare

Unfortunately, the Dog Warden Service does not deal with animal welfare issues so please contact the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999.

Barking dogs

Barking is a natural response of dogs, but the constant noise from dogs barking and/or whining can be a disturbance or annoyance for neighbours.

More often than not, the dog owner is unaware that their dog is causing a problem, as the barking invariably occurs when the owner is out of the property, and are only made aware of the problem when a complaint is made. In law, a barking dog can be classed as a noise nuisance and can be investigated by an Environmental Health Officer who can help resolve the issue for you. Please read our barking dogs leaflet for more information, or visit the RSPCA website.

To contact an Environmental Health Officer please phone 01252 774421.

How to contact the Dog Warden


During Office Hours 01252 774421
Monday – Thursday: 8:30 – 5pm
Friday: 8.30am – 4.30pm

Out of Office Hours 01252 774477
Monday – Friday: 5pm – 10pm
Weekends: 9am – 10pm

Share this page