Registering a Food Premise
By law premises used for a food business (including market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures) must be registered. The council keeps a list of such premises and undertakes regular inspections. The frequency of the visits will depend on the type of business.
Food Hygiene Training
Food Safety Training is essential to ensure not only compliance with the law, but for food handlers and businesses to have a proper understanding of their responsibilities.
For further information on health and safety courses or training visit the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health website.
Food Hygiene Rating Scheme
If you are a business operator and wish to request a re-rating revisit, please complete our online form. Please note there is a fee for this service.
Food Hygiene Excellence Award
This award is given to local businesses who go above and beyond in Food Hygiene. The scheme is an initiative to recognise those food businesses that achieve excellent standards of hygiene based upon their last full food safety inspection. Only those food businesses that achieve the top score in one of three national scoring criteria used during food hygiene inspections are included within this scheme. For more information please see our Food Hygiene Excellence Awards Factsheet.
Congratulations to all food businesses that currently hold the award for excellence. View the list of successful businesses. Please note that this list is currently updated on quarterly basis. There may therefore be a delay in adding or removing food businesses from this list.
Safer Food Better Business
Safer food, better business (SFBB) has been designed by the Food Standards Agency to provide a practical approach to food safety management. This pack has been developed to assist small businesses put in place food safety management procedures and the pack helps food business operators produce the documentation that is required by food hygiene regulations. You can download an SFBB pack here.
The Environmental Health Department is responsible for the regulation of Food Safety within the district of Hart.
It's duties include the following:
- Enforcement of food hygiene legislation and Codes of Practice.
- Inspection of food businesses
- Investigation of food complaints and complaints against food premises
- Investigation of suspected food poisoning/food poisoning outbreaks
- The microbiological sampling of food
- Inspection, seizure and detention of suspect food
- Registration of all food businesses
- Approval for the manufacture of animal products
- Provision of advice and assistance to food businesses, other services within the Authority and the general public
- Application of the Primary Authority principle
- Training on Food Hygiene to businesses and individuals
How to contact Environmental Health
Phone: 01252 774421